The Top 15 Resort Hotels in the Continental United States in 2017
There’ll always be a special place in our hearts for the rolling hills of Tuscany and the beaches of Bali. But whether it’s farm-to-fork dining or white sands you’re after, America can easily match the offerings of your favorite international destinations.
For proof, look no further than this year’s list of the best resort hotels in the United States. Every year for our World’s Best Awards survey, T+L asks readers to weigh in on travel experiences around the globe — to share their opinions on the top hotels, resorts, cities, islands, cruise ships, spas, airlines, and more. Hotels were rated on their facilities, location, service, food, and overall value. Properties were classified as city or resort based on their locations.
This year’s reader favorites are as diverse as the States themselves. In Boca Grande, Florida, the stately, century-old Gasparilla Inn and Club has palm-tree-rimmed beaches and a polished, formal atmosphere. “Old Florida at its finest, and the most genial and genuine service anywhere,” said one reader. Find the ultimate preppy coastal getaway in — where else? — Cape Cod, at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, while just a few hours away, Blantyre would be just as at home on the English moors as it is in the Massachusetts Berkshires.
Still, a few patterns reveal the destinations most likely to satisfy. A third of our winners are clustered in the Southeast, proving that Southern hospitality is as in-demand as ever. Tiny Vermont had an outsized impact on readers, with Twin Farms and Rabbit Hill Inn taking fifth and sixth place, respectively. And be it hitting the back nine in the Santa Cruz foothills or sipping pinot in Sonoma, California is an enduring favorite for travelers.
This year, the American West has captured the imaginations of T+L readers more than ever. Runner-up Triple Creek Ranch, a Relais & Châteaux property, is a relaxed hideaway in the Montana Rockies. And the Lodge & Spa at Brush Creek Ranch, in neighboring Wyoming, debuted at first place, impressing readers with its enviable mountainside location and careful blend of refinement and rusticity. With this many jaw-dropping resort hotels to explore right here in the States, who needs Tuscany?
15. Blantyre, Lenox, Massachusetts
14. Old Edwards Inn & Spa, Highlands, North Carolina
13. Farmhouse Inn, Forestville, California
12. Wequassett Resort & Golf Club, Chatham, Massachusetts
11. Gateway Canyons Resort & Spa, Gateway, Colorado
10. Château du Sureau, Oakhurst, California
9. Blackberry Farm, Walland, Tennessee
8. The Willcox, Aiken, South Carolina
7. Gasparilla Inn & Club, Boca Grande, Florida
6. Rabbit Hill Inn, Lower Waterford, Vermont
5. Twin Farms, Barnard, Vermont
4. Rosewood CordeValle, San Martin, California
3. Inn at Willow Grove, Orange, Virginia
2. Triple Creek Ranch, Darby, Montana
1. Lodge & Spa at Brush Creek Ranch, Saratoga, Wyoming